Speak to a Recovery Expert today
Couch to 5km: 6 Top Tips to Achieving your Goal
Have you recently set yourself a goal to get into running? Or are you passionate about improving your fitness and overall health? A Couch to 5k is a common way in which you can begin your fitness journey.
The ‘Couch to 5k’ is designed for individuals who are sedentary, with little to no physical activity and are building up to being able to run a total of 5km (3.1 miles) without stopping. Yes - it might sound like a ‘massive’ task, but when you set your mind to something, it’s amazing what the body can accomplish.
If you are looking to start your training, here are some tips that we would recommend you to follow so that you can prevent injury and stay motivated:
- Start slowly: If you are new to running, it is important to start slowly and gradually build up your endurance. Begin with a mix of walking and running and slowly increase the amount of time you spend running. Don’t try to get the full 5km done after one week. It doesn’t quite work like that! Set small goals and accomplish them one by one.
- Follow a training plan: There are many ‘Couch to 5km’ training plans available online or through running apps that can help guide you through the process of building up your endurance.
- Stay consistent: Consistency is key when it comes to building up your endurance. Try to run at least two/three times per week and gradually increase the duration of your runs. Having a routine to your training will also increase your likelihood of sticking to your plan!
- Listen to your body: Pay attention to how your body feels and adjust your training plan accordingly. If you are feeling tired or sore, take a break and rest. It’s okay to rest when you’re tired. Putting yourself into overdrive can have very negative effects - both physically and mentally.
- Incorporate strength training: In addition to running, incorporate strength training exercises into your routine to help build up your muscles and prevent injuries. Body weight squats and lunges are a great way to start off increasing your lower body mobility and strength. As you become more advanced, then you can begin to incorporate more weight and variation.
- Invest in some recovery equipment: Your body will really begin to feel sore and tired, so looking at equipment which can improve your recovery is a must. Whether its a basic tool or a more advanced tool, we are here to help select the right thing for you.
Best Recovery Tool Recommendations for Beginners:
As for recovery tools, there are multiple different devices which could benefit you during your training schedule. Generally, the most popular tools are: massage guns, foam rollers or if you have the budget, some compression boots would be a great addition.
Hypervolt GO 2 - £124.95 (Or £41.65 P/M over 3 Months)
The Hypervolt GO 2 is a great value, budget massage gun. It comes with 2 head attachments - the bullet and flat head, which are designed to target areas of specific pain. This would be great for increasing blood flow and activation before exercise.
The Roll Recovery R3 has been designed to target specific areas of the foot to stretch the plantar fascia and intrinsic foot muscles to reduce soreness from tired feet. The unique, non-symmetrical shape of the R3 was designed to focus pressure on the inner, middle and outer parts of the foot and reduce soreness.
The Roll Recovery R4 is unique in comparison to any other standard foam rollers on the market. The size, surface texture, material density and shape were optimized to target specific muscle groups. Specifically, the centre groove on the roller has been designed to align with the spine and neck, along with a profile to help loosen tight IT bands, calf muscles and many other areas of the body.
Recovery Air Prime - £599 - (or only £49.17 P/M over 12 Months).
As our most affordable leg recovery system, the Therabody RecoveryAir Prime is designed to boost circulation, reduce the onset of delayed muscle soreness and decrease stiffness/swelling. Using fast flush technology, these boots will help you feel fresher, faster. Even though these are quite the hit for amateur athletes, these are an extremely popular choice.
If you would like some more information about each product and how they will help your recovery, please do contact us on our web chat or by phone on 01225 223344.